SOUTHERN OFF-ROAD4x4 Hire
Relax in the experienced hands of our team who will help you to plan your 4x4 holiday in Southern Africa, and ensure that your trip is not only exciting, but also as safe and comfortable as you desire.
We are a business that prides itself with our personal touch. Pick up and drop off our vehicles at one of our depots in Cape Town, Johannesburg or Windhoek, or indeed any major town in Southern Africa.
Always enquire about specials and seasonal discounts!Enquire Now
- 4x4 Vehicles
- Standard 4x4 Rates
- Equipped 4x4 Rates
- Luxury Vehicles
- Motorhomes Rates
When to travel toSouthern Africa
Is there a “best time” to go on Safari?
When travelling to Africa the type of holiday you are wanting must be taken into consideration. Depending on the specific animals, wildlife or activities you are interested in seeing or experiencing. Certain game reserves have good game viewing all year round but others will only have a certain animals at different times of the year. Weather plays a big role in certain destinations as the rainy seasons might cause some areas to close for short periods of time.
It is generally felt that the African winter is the best time to go on a safari, as the grass is dry and vegetation sparse making game viewing easier. During this time the animals are also on the move looking for water and food. In Kenya and Tanzania, you have the opportunity to witness the great migration of over two million wildebeest and zebra.
Summer is the best time to travel if wanting to see birds, botany and have great weather.
In Botswana there is exceptional wildlife and game viewing all year round although it is important to take note that certain seasons are ideal for special interest travellers:
- Birding season is from November-March when the Okavango Delta is the home for many migratory birds during their breeding season.
- Botanical season is from December-May when the vegetation becomes lush and green and the plants are flowering.
- Photography is excellent all year round but the scenery is most spectacular from September to February during the first rains. For wildlife May-September is best, as the vegetation is less dense and game viewing is generally more prolific.
Botswana’s high season is from July-October. It is essential to book well in advance.
Shoulder season is from May-June. This can also be a busy time in the national parks and reserves.
November to April is a less popular time to visit due to the rains that disperse the animals.
Mozambique’s main attractions are the beaches and the ocean. It offers pristine tropical beach holidays with great weather year round. The southern parts are generally dryer and less tropical than the northern parts.
- April-September is the best time to visit Mozambique especially for scuba diving.
- October- March is the best time for fishing.
- November-December is hot, humid and rainy with the beach resorts packed with local holiday makers.
Namibia offers exceptional wildlife and scenery all year round. There are certain seasons for specific interest travellers:
- Birding is best during the summer months of November-April because of the greater variety of species around.
- Botanical season is from December to May when the plants are in flower.
- Photography is excellent in August and September with the cloud build-up in the afternoons
Namibia’s high season is from July-October. is essential to book well in advance.
Shoulder season is from May-June. This is a very busy time for national park, reserves and camps.
Christmas and New Years as well as April is high season for local holidaymakers.
South Africa as a travel destination is exceptional all year round. It offers beaches, excellent cuisine, cultures, mountains, scenery, wildlife and some of the best wines in the world.
- The northern parts of South Africa are best during the winter months with wildlife and game viewing at its best. The temperatures are very mild during winter. There is very little rainfall in the north.
- The southern parts of South Africa are best during the summer months. The temperatures can reach as high as 30-35°C and offers beautiful summer days.
- During August and September there is a floral extravaganza in Namaqualand when the desert-like terrain is transformed into a carpet of beautiful flowers and can draw thousands of visitors.
Take note of the South African holiday seasons as the locals generally take their annual holidays in summer. Mid-December to late January is the busy time of the year, but most of the areas are equipped to handle these large groups of tourists. Booking is essential during these times.
Zambia has a distinctive season for visiting the game rich national parks. Most lodges and camps welcome guests between April and November. A few lodges are open during the rainy season, offering exceptional birding safaris and spectacular scenery.
Another important factor is the magnificent Victoria falls and the Zambezi river. During April and May the river and falls are spectacular but are best viewed from a helicopter or micro-light as there can be very thick spray from the river. During October-December the water levels drop and the magnificent rock formations can be seen. River rafting is most exciting during the low level time (August-December) and is very limited at high water level.
- Game viewing and wildlife is best in the months of September and October as the wildlife is found along the rivers and at waterholes. Another great time is also from June to August.
- Birding is best from September to mid April, when the migrating birds are most prolific during their breeding season.
- The rainy season is from December to March with heavy thunder storms occurring very regularly. Wildlife is scattered and the vegetation is lush and green.
Zimbabwe offers exceptional wildlife and game viewing an all year round. It is important to take note that certain seasons are ideal for special interest travellers:
- Birding season is from November- March when the waterways of the Zambezi and Lake Kariba are home to the many migratory birds during their breeding season.
- Botanical season is from December - May when the vegetation is lush and green, and also when most plants are in flower
- Photography is excellent all year-round, but depending on what your main interests are, please note that the scenery is most spectacular from September - February during the first rains. For wildlife the winter months from May - Sept is best, as the vegetation is less dense and game viewing is generally more prolific
- Zimbabwe’s high season is from July - October. Due to the low number of rooms in most of the Zimbabwe lodges and camps, availability is at a premium over this time, so it is essential to book well in advance.
- Shoulder season is from May - June. This is also a ‘busy time’ in Zimbabwe’s national parks and reserves